Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Artist talk: Hooper, workshop: Displays of Dissatisfaction

Today I attended an Artist talk with Claire Hooper and went to a workshop Displays of Dissatisfaction by Rose O'Gallivan.

The artist talk was really nice even if I had to go early to attend the workshop. Hooper works with video and is especially interested in storytelling and structures of narrative. She showed us parts of a film she made: Styx. Here she uses a contemporary style and play with old, archetypal beings and ideas, creating a visually interesting and dynamic world where stories take place.

My interest got really piqued and I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get to stay behind for questions. Maybe I'll mail her some if they keep gnawing on me.

So yeah, I had to go because I had that workshop.

I'm sorry to say it, but I was kind of disappointed by Displays of Dissatisfaction. Todays part had the title: Talk and Introduction – The relationship between artwork and protest. To be honest, I was expecting it to be more political, more directional, less 'it's all relative'.

No, I'm not really doing O'Gallivan justice if I put it like that. After all I know very little about her actual political standpoints and I can't blame her if I misunderstood the aim of the workshop when I signed up. Hell, by the time it is over I might've changed my opinion about it, so stay tuned.

So far though. What I gathered from the Talk O'Gallivan is mostly interested in protests in a purely visual and conceptual way and she sees little point in the actual political messages behind them. Which is fair enough I guess, even if I disagree.

I have a tutorial with her the 22. at 10,  guess I can have a chance to put some of my annoyances to rest :p after all the project for the workshop, the making of the banner is interesting to me and I'm looking forwards to participating in it. I also look forwards to the gallery visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment